Does 2 different wheel width matter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does 2 different wheel width matter?

Throwing together a set of wheels for my 05 mustang, would running a 17x8 and 17x9 up front affect anything? As long as I'm running same size tire.....
    sigpic

I would have to say yes... albeit minor, but it will change the foot print the tire puts on the ground because the 17x8 wheel squeezes the tire making it slightly taller and narrower than the 17x9 on the same size tire. You could probably do the math on it, and find out the exact difference. Just my .02 I have to ask, why though?
    Brian W. Smith
    Lexington, Ky
    1999 5 speed Dodge 2500

Comment

Agreed. The tire footprint/contact patch would be slightly different side to side, possibly causing it to pull and other "minor" handling issues.

That said with good tires, you'd still be in better shape than half the vehicles on the road these days. The bald tires I see daily are getting ridiculous.
      If you are bored and want to read about my old Buick, click here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f190/1939-bui...on-273123.html

Comment

I caught chrome bullitts on sale 17x10 99$ a pc. Got one new in the box 17x9 off ebay for 60$. Now there is a 17x8 with a new 245/45 on it. Also new ...used for display. Never mounted or ran. Could pick it up for around 120$. I used the same setup on my 08 but ran 10" rear 9" fronts and had around 800$ in wheels alone. Was just seeing if the width really played a huge factor. Trying into the same setup cheap would be nice.
        sigpic

Comment

Do you have the other three tires matching the one on the 17x8? If not I would pass on it and find a matching 9" wheel, and a matching set of tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Brian W. Smith
          Lexington, Ky
          1999 5 speed Dodge 2500

Comment

Come back Bob, just come on back.....

Comment

Working...
            X