Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: 4L60E swap to T56 (LS1 F-body)

OK. Here is a parts list needed for swapping out a 4L60E for a T56 in an LS1 Fbody:

master + slave cylinders (prefer 01 up) (also, master cylinder u-bolt and nuts)
    new pedal assembly with clips for clutch rod and brake rod
    new console tray with shift boot, and lower shift boot (upper shift boot comes with tray if purchased from GM)
    pilot bearing, bellhousing, T56, crossmember, T56 torque arm mount and bolts, shifter
    pressure plate, flywheel, clutch, and all related bolts and clutch tool
    You will need to have your PCM flashed to a 6spd PCM, but you do not need a new PCM

THE SAME DRIVESHAFT CAN BE USED

REWIRING instructions: (disconnect battery, and dismantle the park/neutral switch)

connect the orange w/ black stripe and the black wires directly together for the hatch release to work.

connect the purple w/ white stripe and the dark green to the clutch switch on the manual pedal assembly so the clutch pedal needs to be depressed before the car will start. Polarization does matter here. I forget which wire goes to each connector, but trial and error will solve this in 2 seconds. (do it right, use solder and heat shrink tubing).

connect light green and brown into the reverse switch located on the passenger side of the T56 for the reverse lights to work. You can buy the pigtail, or engineer a way to get the wires to hold and be protected. I put the wires in and pinched them into place. The pigtail will run about $50 of unneccesary spending. Polarization does not matter. (again, use solder and heat shrink when you add wire to these).

Also, the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) will need to be cut, and elongated by soldering on about 6 inches of extra wire to each wire going into the connector. This VSS will plug directly into the VSS port on the drivers side of the T56 by the shifter.

WATCH THE FOLLOWING FUSES: starter, gauges, Turn/BU lights.

Troublesome parts:

The hardest part is mounting the master cylinder. Pulling the auto is no big deal. You will need a long extension or two, and a swivel joint to get this thing out though.

The steering column will need to come out, but it is pretty simple. 6 bolts hold it in. 1 is under the hood at the joint in the column, 3 are on the firewall behind the pedals, and two are holding it to the underside of the dash. After these are removed and all electrical connectors are unplugged, wiggle it out of there. It should be free of any connections at this point, except the safety device on the top of the column. Follow the device that hooked to your auto shifter up to your column. Take this off. I believe it has 2 screws holding it in place. This locks the ignition until the car is in park. Since you no longer have "park", this thing needs to go.

Everything else can be found in the LT1 instructions below. They are almost exactly the same, except the wiring instructions. If you have any questions, send me a PM.

This whole conversion costed me only $2300. This can be done in a garage with jackstands and intelligence. Don't be stupid and attempt heavy lifting or dropping without help by your side.

http://www.afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm
    www.emblempros.com
    2005 Chevy Cobalt
    2006 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat Corvette Z06 - 2LZ package and navigation
    2011 Ingot Silver Metallic Mustang GT - Premium 401A package - Flatline
    2012 Ford Edge SEL - Leather, and headrest DVD players for the kid.

Good information :thumb:
    Billy Newsome

98 Mustang GT LS1 Turbo car.........

Gone but not forgotten
    2002 NBM Z-28
    M-6 T-Tops, Cam Only, Full boltons, Full weight
    Best N/A ET 11.49@118 Best N/A MPH 119

Comment

Great idea Matt. That could help out quite a few over here.
      Levi Procter
      2007 997 TT AWD/GIAC
      2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged/Stock
      2007 BMW 335i TT/Burger CAI

Become an organ donor online through Donate Life!

Comment

Awesome.... :wooo: :cheers:
        Brian Newsome

2008 Jet Stream Blue C6
        1992 Mustang Foxbody Coupe

Comment

I am now on the way to my swap....... Starting to get the parts........ penhands:
          Brian Newsome

2008 Jet Stream Blue C6

Comment

I thought that a manual driveshaft was a half inch longer than a auto, or does that not make a difference.

Comment

Dragon- where did you get the master cylinder u bolts and nuts? Also where did you get the lower shift boot, T-56 torque arm mount and bolts, and the flywheel bolts and pressureplate bolts?

Thanks man
              Brian Newsome

2008 Jet Stream Blue C6

Comment

Originally posted by Slowsome@Mar 11 2005, 06:58 AM
                Dragon- where did you get the master cylinder u bolts and nuts? Also where did you get the lower shift boot, T-56 torque arm mount and bolts, and the flywheel bolts and pressureplate bolts?

Thanks man
                I got the master cylinder u-bolt, shift boot and nuts through Thoroughbred Chevrolet.

I got the flywheel bolts form Thunder Racing - ARP bolts.

I bought 1/2 of the torque arm mount from the dealer, and fabricated the other half by drilling a hole in the auto mount.
                www.emblempros.com
                2005 Chevy Cobalt

Comment

Originally posted by dragonZ28+Mar 14 2005, 06:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dragonZ28 @ Mar 14 2005, 06:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Slowsome@Mar 11 2005, 06:58 AM

Thanks man
                  I got the master cylinder u-bolt, shift boot and nuts through Thoroughbred Chevrolet.

I got the flywheel bolts form Thunder Racing - ARP bolts.

I bought 1/2 of the torque arm mount from the dealer, and fabricated the other half by drilling a hole in the auto mount. [/b][/quote]
                  Do you remember what it costed you from the dealer? :cheers:

Also where did you get the bolts for pressure plate?
                  Brian Newsome

2008 Jet Stream Blue C6

Comment

It costed way too damn much from the dealer - that I remember. Just make sure that when you buy the new console DO NOT ORDER AN UPPER SHIFT BOOT! One comes with the console. I now have an extra sitting around.

I believe I got the pressure plate bolts from a fastener store on goldrush drive where across from where StreetSports used to be. Just be sure to get grade 10 or higher. I called the dealer, and got the thread specs, and just went there and picked up a few. They were the only place in Lexington that had them - pretty sad if you ask me.
                    www.emblempros.com
                    2005 Chevy Cobalt

Comment

Originally posted by DragonslayerSLAYER@Mar 15 2005, 01:19 AM
                      It costed way too damn much from the dealer - that I remember.* Just make sure that when you buy the new console DO NOT ORDER AN UPPER SHIFT BOOT!* One comes with the console.* I now have an extra sitting around.

I believe I got the pressure plate bolts from a fastener store on goldrush drive where across from where StreetSports used to be.* Just be sure to get grade 10 or higher.* I called the dealer, and got the thread specs, and just went there and picked up a few.* They were the only place in Lexington that had them - pretty sad if you ask me.
                      Awesome, Thanks man.... I already have a console so im in good shape on that..... :cheers:

Oh yeah I love the vid in your sig....... :rofl:
                      Brian Newsome

2008 Jet Stream Blue C6

Comment

this swap be just like having a six speed from teh start...just wondering if it would shift as smooth as a stock camaro wit a six speed, or be hard to change the gears and stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by littleflip_69@Apr 11 2006, 02:59 AM
                          this swap be just like having a six speed from teh start...just wondering if it would shift as smooth as a stock camaro wit a six speed, or be hard to change the gears and stuff?
                          Mine acts just like it was built that way from the factory. The T-56 is not electronically controlled, it is completely mechanical, so it will act just fine.
                          www.emblempros.com
                          2005 Chevy Cobalt

Comment

pretty cool, i fig it would be much harder with all the electrical stuff..
                            sigpic1970 plymouth roadrunner/1998 trans am ws6/2004 GTO

Comment

Working...
                            X